First steps once you are here Featured

Written by  Max Culley

What are the first things you should do as soon as you arrive in Australia? Here is a list of the top 7 most important things that you should do as soon as possible after arriving in Australia.

1. Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN)Do this first.
To receive an income in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN). Income includes wages or salary from a job, payments from the government, and money earned from investments including interest on savings accounts. In Australia, you can telephone the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and have a TFN application form sent to you. Alternatively, you can apply for a TFN over the internet.


2. Register with Medicare The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare. You may be eligible to join Medicare and gain immediate access to health care services and programs. These include free public hospital care, help with the cost of out-of-hospital care, and subsidised medicines. How to enrol To enrol in Medicare, you should go into a Medicare office 7 to 10 days after your arrival in Australia and bring your passport or travel documents. There are also many different private health insurance options you may wish to consider, as Medicare does not provide for all services. Examples: Medicare does not cover dental care, most optical care or ambulance services.


3. Open a Bank Account In Australia, most income including salary or wages and government benefits are paid directly into a bank account. You should open a bank account within six weeks of your arrival, as you usually need only your passport as identification. After six weeks you will need extra identification to open an account. For further information on opening a bank account. See: Smarter Banking - make the most of your money


4. Register with Centrelink Centrelink contributes to the social and economic outcomes set by government by delivering services to assist people to become self-sufficient and supporting those in need. What Centrelink can help you with Centrelink can help you find a job, arrange for recognition of your skills and qualifications, and to access certain courses. Centrelink can also help you with Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of raising children. What Centrelink can not help you with As a newly arrived migrant, you are not immediately eligible for social security (unless you are a refugee or humanitarian entrant). You do not have access to the full range of government employment services. If you are a permanent resident, you may be eligible to access some


5. Register for English ClassesIf Required
Communicating in English is very important and the key to your successful settlement. English languages courses for new arrivals in Australia are provided under the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). As a new resident, you may be entitled to receive free English language tuition of up to 510 hours. Register as soon as possible or you could lose your entitlement. See: Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)


6. Enrol Your Children in SchoolIf you have children
Under Australian law, children must attend school until they are 15 years old. You should enrol your children in a school as soon as possible. See: Education


7. Apply for a Driver's LicenceIf you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver's licence from another country, in English or with an official translation, you are allowed to drive for your first three months after arrival. After the three months, if you want to drive, you will need to have the appropriate driver's licence. This will usually require you to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an eyesight test. In Australia, drivers' licences are issued by state and territory governments.



Also refer to the Beginning a life in Australia Booklets;
The Beginning a Life in Australia booklets, provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship, welcome newly-arrived migrants and humanitarian entrants to Australia. They provide useful national, state/territory and local settlement information for migrants, humanitarian entrants, their sponsors and service providers. This information is available to download in English and 37 community languages for each state and territory.


Max Culley

Max Culley

Classically trained as a Mechanical Engineer, Max owned and successfully operated a number of precision engineering businesses before joining Ozgo in the capacity of Business Development Manager. Max is tasked with extending Ozgo #039;s customer services and ensuring the smooth running of the business and processes, including continuing to improve client satisfaction.

Business Development Manager
Ozgo Service: 11 Years

More in this category: « Beginning a life in Australia
site by : hotmango, web and print